Chrono Coin Animation

Perspective is playing tricks on y’all.

What you are watching is perfectly normal when you put the camera close to the objective, imagine a square instead, if you rotate it, the closer to you it is, the bigger would be, here is just hard to notice because is a “circle”.

You can “fix” the feeling by putting the camera away from the object or by adjusting its focal length.

4 Likes

no “feeling”
put a “ruler”(or whatever) on the center point on the vertical axis, and you can watch the top and bottom shift
this should not happen, no matter what, on a perfectly centered axis top and bottom “max” always remain the same, -even more so with a straight view, doubly so when view is fixed on the central point, bottom and top should never shift out of center physically, despite perception sense, which they clearly do here

3 Likes

X difference(just on this frame alone), -perfectly centered center top bottom dimension should never physically move despite a “spin”, as “center” is the max dimension in this case being a circle (would be the same with a square in your example too)

(ps this was done rather hastily, and in paint, but should still be plenty “accurate” enough to illustrate my point)

4 Likes

And you said you weren’t good at mafs, look at you, I’m so proud

1 Like

You are assuming that the tallest part of the coin will always be aligned with the center, that is true in an orthographic view, however, this is perspective.

6fd6a04971bab69fa94f287c19f5d168

Here is a circle rotated 45º on its z-axis, you can clearly see its center is not the tallest part of its silhouette, and it would be the same with a square.

4 Likes

see now we come into these terms and fancy mafs stuffs where i know nothing
but
perspective view or not, fixed center view, as this is, it should always be aligned to “fit” center dimensions -which this does not,
(and i’ve drawn enough of these “2d shape to 3d shape”, on paper, with angle shift to remember certain shapes always maintain their center in this fashion)
when in frame X it’s perfectly centered, and then later it’s not, + OP said it roated around center, then the difference in “views”/perspective, contradict each other in such fashion, as somewhere along the line the coin should then shift X degrees from earler -since it’s fixed center view like so, and to do so “suddenly” would ofc be wrong, when it’s a center spin, it should be “equal”

ofc since i suck at mafs, and i likely know nothing about this, this is however why it looks wrong, because it does physically, visibly shift, in an unnatural manner
-which is what all picked up on, and why when you see other 3d stuff spin, head on, you don’t get the same “feeling”, because it’s aligned to counteract this i guess then?

short version, no “normal” 3d object, with “equal” dimension, (circles, squares, spheres etc), spin “visibly” as displayed in this fashion, when spun around their center axis -hence why we see it’s “off”
(fuck if i’ve been able to visibly get my crown coin to appear this way when spun in my fingers, despite my view angle :smile:, Like spinning a globe, always appear the “same”, because the dimension doesn’t change during my spinning)

3 Likes

8 Likes

If there is one great thing about all the CW DC shows is that they are getting the old stars back in some way.

Linda Carter was on Supergirl as the president (or something she made a joke about checking out her other jet)

Dean Cain is on Supergirl as Kara’s human father

Terri Hatcher was on Supergirl as an evil alien queen

Barry’s Dad (don’t know his name off the top of my head) on The Flash played Flash in a series a lifetime ago and in one of the multi verses he is actually The Flash

When they had the first big crossover event, Ray Palmer looks at Kara and says she reminds him of his cousin (the actor was Superman in Superman Returns)

They even have Mark Hammill as a Joker-lite character, the Toy Maker? anyway he does pretty much the same voice.

Probably a few more that I either don’t know of or can’t remember

5 Likes

even if i don’t always agree with the way cw dc arcs or “day to day” stories are going, i love they include “old timers” in those ways,
Mark Hammill episode was wonderful (love when he goes all “Joker”)
and was sorta awesome to see Dawson’s dad, oops i mean John Wesley, be a dad to his own Barry Allen (someone gotta explain to me how that would work in even the weirdest time paradox :laughing:)
Carl Lumbly to be martian manhunters father (if have watched justice league cartoon his “voice” might be “familar” :smile:)

sorta makes it feel a little bit more awesome when you have those little “easteregg’ish” moment “uh i know that one” :joy:

1 Like

Nothing fancy here, is just counter-intuitive, take the spinning coin on the main page, the reason why its spin is aligned is because there’s no perspective applied to it, in most cases is either that or the object is so far away from the camera that the effect is diminished to be almost unnoticeable.

If you can, trace a line across your coin, and make it spin slowly as close to your eye as you can, you should see the same effect, that the closer halve is bigger than the one behind.

A spere is under the same effect, you just can’t see it because the whole thing is always round, but if you were to see a globe(a spere really) directly from the north pole, it would be impossible to see its Equator line.

5 Likes

what i think i mean is,
no matter how close, or far away, a 2d circle, or coin or even sphere would be to our eye, when “spun”, it would not appear in the same way as “this” in our real world/perspective, as it’s way too pronounced or something here, which is what makes it appear so “off”
like when you spin a “circle”, no matter the distance, size, or view angle, it never appears to “wobble” -like this one does, because it always maintain it’s dimension (granted we are literally fixing it around the axis spun, but still), despite our perspectives “zone”(or whatever it’s called) always creates a “perfect” sphere on continual spin, and not an oval like this one
i sorta get the technicalities here, and what you mean, but it doesn’t change that it “functions” wrong here, because rl perspective wouldn’t make so severe “protrusions” in shift like this does when spun
sorta like it’s overly defined perspective here, making it seem “off”, because it’s somehow not real/too exaggerated
(like if circle/disc was X diameter wide on face, and on angle it didn’t maintain proper dimension and then got turned 100xY wide when it should only have been 1.5X, that would sorta make “sense” of a perceived “wobble” from “axis shift”) -i’m making this more confusing the more i “talk” aren’t i, :thinking:

2 Likes

8 Likes

You are right in that the effect is not as pronounced in real life as it is here.

My statement above about fixing the feeling is because I see that the shape wobbles and I know the reason, and note that I’m not saying the animation is properly done, all I’m saying is that technically speaking, there’s nothing wrong with it.

By the way, this coin does create a “perfect” sphere, not an oval, the spin is so low that is hard to notice, but it does. And if you want to see this in real life, find a big round fountain, one whit a small nozzle in the center, and look at it at a low angle.

5 Likes

all this angle and perspective talk makes me miss some long gone days in class tracing shapes and buildings

i’m gonna get arrested disturbing public order trying this, aren’t i :thinking:

“mom, why does that man keep laying down next to the fountain looking at it all weird???”
:smile:

5 Likes

Sorry for necroing this thread but I think I can help finally solve this. Here’s a view of how up in the camera the coin is:

And here’s me showing that the camera’s definitely centered and how the illusion disappears when using an orthographic camera.

14 Likes

Beaut. Yea I think the point about “distortion” from perspective was spot on.

4 Likes