Buff Back Giveaway: Final Round - Game 16 is officially over

Is it Quina Queen from Final Fantasy IX?
Quina_Quen_from_Final_Fantasy_IX_render

8 Likes

@FacuBlues Correct!
Please let me know what prize you’d like via PM. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Oh, I was one game off it seems.

5 Likes

I feel like the comic that you posted pushed them in the right direction.
Maybe you’ll get it in the next round (just need to write up the post for it).

5 Likes

@Fraggles OM NOM NOM NOM. I was always afraid of / in luvvles with Quistis, hee hee. Contrarily, I can’t stand Cloud or Squall.

I love “Baby Chocobos” instead of kittens and puppies. :smile_cat:

3 Likes

Game 12:

A beloved video game series that has spawned multiple titles across many generations. The games often have a simple premise, yet a rather charming and captivating setting. Whether it’s raising crops or animals, bonding with the townsfolk, journeying off into the dangerous depths of a mine, or bringing life back to your town you’re sure to spend many hours a day playing a game from this franchise.

The developers of this franchise decided to leave their publisher in the west and publish the game themselves under a new name. The ex-publisher had once celebrated the franchise’s 20th Anniversary after the split, despite never owning/having made any of the previous titles (and the ones they developed on their own were obviously not that old at the time either). While the game’s that are now released under the original name are soulless cash grabs with no actual sense of direction and a rather generic art style, the game’s released under the new name call back to the franchise’s roots without alienating its fan base.

What was the name of this franchise and what is the name it’s released under now in the west?

Rules:

• You must answer with the correct names of this franchise.
  • If you guessed incorrectly, you must make a new post with your next answer.
9 Likes

It says right there, in the picture!

6 Likes

That’s not the western name though, so it doesn’t count. :joy:

6 Likes

牧場物語

That’s gotta be the right name. LOL!

6 Likes

Harvest Moon and Story of Seasons. Have you tried out FoMT? Sounds like it might have stuck too much to its old roots and doesn’t quite stand up to the other more modern games of the same genre.

8 Likes

Correct! Congrats @zoex , please let me know what your desired prize is via PM. :slight_smile:

I haven’t tried the remake yet, though I did preorder it via the eShop.
I used to play the original every now and then, but didn’t really get that far since that was during elementary school, iirc.

5 Likes

After couple of days of farming and beating up origami, the next game will finally begin.

Game 13:

It’s trivia about the Paper Mario series!

Please keep in mind that some of these questions involve spoilers. If you’ve yet to play some of these games and are interested in doing so, I’d recommend you avoid scrolling any further. If you already have or just don’t care, then scroll away.

Paper Mario is a series that is now split into two trilogies:

The Original Trilogy - RPG/RPG elements, original characters, and story heavy

• Paper Mario 64
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  • Super Paper Mario

The Modern Trilogy - Lite RPG elements, Action Adventure games, no original characters (besides your partner; TOK is an exception in some areas), and story lite/medium

• Paper Mario: Sticker Star (Partner - Kersti)
  • Paper Mario: Color Splash (Partner - Huey)
  • Paper Mario: The Origami King (Partner - Olivia; not counting the temporary ones)

With this very brief introduction to the series as a whole, you must answer the following set of questions correctly:

1. In the original trilogy, which game has a blocky/shape-based art style?

2. In the modern trilogy, which game has the worst/most annoying partner in existence who belittled Mario whenever they had the chance to do so?

3. In the original trilogy, which game was the first one to let you play as Princess Peach?

4. In the modern trilogy, which game has an entire chapter/area dedicated to/heavily inspired by The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker?

5. In the modern trilogy, what was the game where Princess Peach and all the Toads (who lived in the location the game takes place in) were killed, then revived by Mario throughout his journey?

6. In the original trilogy, what was the game where Mario and co. went to hell, then climbed all the way up to heaven?

7. In the original trilogy, what was the game where Mario was cursed with paper powers? (ie. airplane, boat, roll)

Rules:

• You’re allowed to use Google (or any search engine of your choice) to help you find out the answers.

• Feel free to use the following abbreviations for each title if you want to avoid typing the entire name:

Original Trilogy: 64, TTYD, SPM
Modern Trilogy: SS, CS, TOK

• If there’s only 1 participant, they must answer all the questions correctly to win the round. If there’s 2 or more participants, then the one who got the most correct answers wins.

• You may only include 1 answer to each question in your post.

• If any of your answers are incorrect, please include your new ones in another post.

6 Likes

Let’s try at least

Super Paper Mario

4 Likes

Unfortunately, your answer is incorrect.

While Super Paper Mario did let you play as her whenever you wanted to (after she joins your party), this isn’t the first one where you were able to do so. There’s another game in the original trilogy where you were able to play as her during certain segments of the story.

4 Likes
  1. In the original trilogy, which game has a blocky/shape-based art style?

Paper Mario 64.

1. In the original trilogy, which game was the first one to let you play as Princess Peach?

A glitch in Paper Mario allows the player to play as Princess Peach within the final boss fight with Bowser.

1. In the modern trilogy, which game has an entire chapter/area dedicated to/heavily inspired by The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker?

TOK

1. In the modern trilogy, what was the game where Princess Peach and all the Toads (who lived in the location the game takes place in) were killed, then revived by Mario throughout his journey?

She was turned into a tapestry in TOK

1. In the original trilogy, what was the game where Mario and co. went to hell, then climbed all the way up to heaven?

Super Paper Mario

1. In the original trilogy, what was the game where Mario was cursed with paper powers? (ie. airplane, boat, roll)

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door by the Black Chest Demons

3 Likes

Not quite sure but I think it could be Paper Mario: Color Splash

2 Likes

@pegasusz

1. Incorrect. The in-game art style may be pixel/blocky due to how the sprites are (and possible limitations from that era, even though mods have been able to get over that), but that’s not the game where everything is pretty much blocky/shapes.

2. Correct, but you -can- still normally play as Princess Peach during certain segments of the game (as intended by the developers) in an attempt to help her escape the castle. She bakes a cake, plays a Quiz Show to get the transformation umbrella, and even tries to fight Kammy Koopa with the help of Twink the star at the end of the game.

3. Correct.

4. Incorrect. Not sure if what you said is a spoiler or not since I’ve yet to finish the game (left it at Chapter/World 5 yesterday morning; probably near the end of it, since the boss battle’s coming up), but she was turned into origami at the beginning of the game. Meanwhile, some of the Toads were also folded into origami or just shoved somewhere by the Folded Soldiers, but they’re still very much alive.

In the modern trilogy game that you’re looking for, you actually get to see Mario being killed off before the Game Over screen fades to black.

1. Correct.

2. Correct.

Incorrect. Huey was actually a pretty nice guy and I don’t recall him ever belittling Mario or treating him like crap.

Since there are a total of 2 participants and you got most of the questions right (4 out of 7), this means that you’ve won the game. Congrats @pegasusz ! Please let me know what prize you’d like via PM. :smiley:

Here are the answers to all the questions:

1. Super Paper Mario (The world is flat and everything is mostly made up of squares and rectangles, your “partners” known as Pixls and pretty much every original resident of this world are made out of various blocks/shapes.

2. Kersti (She belittled and treated Mario badly throughout the entire journey (almost as bad as Starlow treated Luigi in the Mario & Luigi series), yet the game still wanted the player to feel bad for her at the end because

Spoiler

she has to sacrifice herself for you to actually be able to beat Bowser. By letting Mario use her as a sticker, which means that he killed her himself, he obtains her powers and beats the crap out of him in one banger of a battle theme. Unfortunately, Mario retcons the entire game with his wish, which effectively brings her back to life and sends everyone back to the very beginning of the game.

)

1. Paper Mario 64 (You controlled her during certain segments of the story where she would attempt to escape the castle on her own and with the help of Twink the star.

2. Paper Mario: The Origami King

3. Paper Mario: Color Splash (At the beginning of the game, Mario and co. receive a letter written on a blank Toad and when you arrive at the island there are a bunch of Shy Guys who drain the color right out of a Toad before your very eyes. In this game, colors are the very essence of life and anyone who’s completely drained is officially dead. With the help of Huey and his paint powers, Mario was able to restore/revive everyone by whacking them with his Paint Hammer.)

4. Super Paper Mario

5. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

5 Likes

That definition completely caught me off guard there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May I have Dead Space, please? :yum:

Well received. Thank you again for the key (and the puzzle) :yum:

4 Likes

@Luxen, you sure know your Mario games.
The only thing that comes to my mind when I hear Paper Mario, is Yoshi’s Island for SNES:D

5 Likes

Thanks to power outages throughout the end of last month the next round was delayed, but we can finally get on with it once more.

Game 14: Who’s that lovable video game chub?

This video game character’s actual weight/size is quite slim and fit, having many men and women charmed by his dashing looks and personality. At one point in the series they added a skin that you could unlock to play as a fatter version of him (with a deeper voice to match too) during both multiplayer and single player. They eventually added fatter versions of other story characters that you could unlock as well. Unfortunately, all of these skins were removed/cut from the series starting with the development/release of one particular title because the developers thought that people were offended by them (and they couldn’t have been farther from the truth).

What is the name of this video game character and what is the title where his fat skin/version was removed?

Rules:

• You must guess and include both the character’s name and the title of the game where said skin was removed in your post.

• If you’re stumped, feel free to use Google or any search engine of your choice to help you find the answer.

• If your guess was incorrect, please include your new one in another post.

6 Likes